Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Presentation day 1

Presentations for day 1 word very exciting. I really liked seeing the variety of different games being made. It was really fun to see how each person presented their game. I didn't think that I was going to go today but it was really need fun to be the last person to present. I was a bit nervous to present at first, but I had a lot of practice during Game Design 1 and 2.

I really liked Thaddeus's and Blake's projects so far. I really like the use of the avatars in-game. I am also a big fan of co-op and multiplayer.

As for my project, I wanted something that was going to be very different from everyone else's. It needed to have a different combat system, different tone (mood), and different objectives. My project is going to be 8-bit, 16-bit, or similar 2D style. I look for inspiration from Terraria (resource gathering/art style), Lone Survivor (art style/mood), and Amnesia (atmosphere/intensity). Bob Kessler and Roger Altizer explained that our game was going to be limited in scope and we only have 2 semesters to do it in.

I limited my game by going for a 2D art style, PermaDeath, and a different combat system. As mentioned the game will feature simple 2D art, however, we will stylize it and make it look our own. 

The PermaDeath feature is something that is old and new. NES game technology was limited and could not provide this feature, but those are some of the best games ever. Day-Z introduced this feature and it makes the game that much more intense. The game does have a simple save so that you can leave your computer and come back, but once you're dead...you're dead. This will help my game created that same intensity that is in Day-Z. People will be very careful how they play the game. Also, since the game is short, I would like people to play through in 30 minutes to an hour. 

This leads into the combat system. The game will feature a non-violent combat system. The game will force the player into emotional episodes where the player will interact by a dialogue or action sequence. The player will have to make serious choices during these episodes that determine the outcome of the game. Since these choices will determine the outcome, once you make a choice, you can't save and go back. Hopefully, the game will be good enough that people will play it at least twice to figure out the different endings.

I am very excited about my game and I have posted my one page pitch:

No comments:

Post a Comment